Wednesday, October 10, 2007

Smart For Nashville?

I took this picture near Lake Como, Italy. I thought the camo was priceless, a nice touch that would appeal to my friends and relatives in rural Kentucky, where the joke in Mr. Beale’s hometown is that camo is their school colors.

You see tiny cars like this a lot in Italy. After the initial shock over their small size, they start to look kinda cool. With Smart Cars coming to the U.S. in early 2008, I got to wondering how they’d work in Nashville.

The cars supposedly get 40 miles per gallon and will sell for under $15,000. For someone who drives as little as I do, it seems like a good idea. I love the idea of zipping in and out of traffic; parking in Hillsboro Village would be a breeze.

On the downside, I drove small two-seater cars for years in Nashville and got plowed into by soccer moms in their Chevy Subdivisions every single time. I totalled 3 cars in 10 years in Nashville, and finally realized that people just couldn’t see me; I was small and low to the ground and got squished like a bug by behemoth SUVs.

But, I drive far less than I used to, and I’m also seeing fewer SUVs on Nashville roads. So, is the Smart Car smart for Nashville? Can you see one of these in Green Hills?