Saturday, July 7, 2007

Note To Media: We’re Frustrated With You

Three guesses who said this in a Washington Post interivew this week:
I was in an airport [last Wednesday] when that whole Paris Hilton interview was going down. I was watching "The Situation Room" and they were talking about this interview that hadn't happened yet and then counting down to it. I'll never watch CNN again.

I mean it. I think something's happened to news and entertainment. News has become entertainment. They don't give you what you need, they give you what you want. And entertainment has taken a turn, too. People aren't much interested in virtuosity. They just want to feel better when they watch something and that changes it all. So I don't know, maybe that's why Broadway was so great and I'm going to Vegas.

If you answered Tony Danza, of “Who’s The Boss” fame, you’d be correct.

Tony freaking Danza. I'd say if you've lost Tony Danza, you've lost that last shred of the American public that wasn't already thoroughly disgusted with what passes for news these days.

Tony Danza is only half-right on this one: they aren’t giving us what we want, they’re giving us what they think we want. According to this week’s Entertainment Weekly, Larry King Live’s interview with Paris Hilton drew a paltry 3.2 million viewers. If that were a show on a non-cable network, it would have been cancelled long ago.

Tony Danza, from the mouths of babes (and I mean that in every positive sense of the word imaginable).