Monday, February 9, 2009

Nashville @ Noon

When I blogged that I was ready to take it to our Senators' doorstep little did I know that a group of Nashville faith leaders and activists were planning just such a thing. At noon today we delivered our message to Sens. Alexander and Corker: support the economic stimulus. People need jobs and healthcare. We need help. Quit dragging your heels! Listen to us!

Though the group was small--maybe 25 or so folks--it's a start. It was a wide range of people representing a variety of constituencies. And every great journey begins with a single step. I was also happy to see all of the local media in attendance.

Don't get me wrong, the bill still sucks. It's been neutered, watered down, rendered flaccid in every sense of the word. I'm still struggling with supporting something instead of nothing, but it looks like perfect isn't going to happen with the robots in Congress and nothing is what we'll end up with. Nothing won't keep people from losing their jobs or choosing between prescription drugs or food. So there you go.