Thursday, February 26, 2009

Farewell, American Artisan

Another Nashville institution is closing its doors: I’ve just received word that American Artisan will close at the end of March after 38 years in Nashville.

This is very sad to me, as American Artisan is a Nashville treasure. I remember visiting the store on Harding way back in the ‘80s and seeing folk art by Howard Finster for sale. Owner Nancy Saturn says she’s closing because of her age, not the economy, and she will continue to hold the American Artisan Festival in Centennial Park. But ... whaaaah!

I’m sure this has been covered by the local media--it has, right?--but this is the first I’ve heard of it. And I am very sad. I've always loved visiting the store and seeing the wonderful hand-crafted items available there. Many a wedding gift has been bought there as well.

American Artisan, you will be missed.