Thursday, February 26, 2009

Coming To A Restaurant Near You, Just You Wait

I’m talking about deep-fried pizza:
As the Pizza Snobz owner dips two frozen slices of cheese pizza into a thin batter he developed from a YouTube recipe, he says, ''My batter is thin because that's the way we (Barker, his wife, Morgan, and partner Louis Perry) like it. Otherwise, the pizza gets too bready and heavy.”

Just, no. No, no, no.

It gets worse:

He plunges our slices, still dripping batter, into the hot fat. An 11-year-old who's also waiting for a slice tells us, ''I like deep-fried pizza because it's crispy all over but soft inside, like a French fry.'' She adds, ''I sprinkle it with a little powdered sugar. That's good, too.''

Good lord, there’s so much wrong with this. Where do I start? There’s the frozen pizza part. There’s the battered-and-deep-fried part. There’s the powdered sugar part. And then there’s the recipe found on YouTube part.

I can’t believe these people aren’t Southerners.