Friday, January 16, 2009

Memories, Light The Corners Of My Mind

I missed President’s Bush’s speech last night, which Joan Walsh called “delusional and self-indulgent.” I was out, but had I been home I’m sure I would have avoided it anyway.

I’m tired of hearing the president’s misty water-colored memories of an America of the past seven years that exists only in his own mind. I don’t need him to remind us--again--how he “kept us safe” for the past seven years. Tell that to the five dead and 17 injured in the 2001 anthrax attacks. Tell that to the 1,800+ killed and thousands more displaced in Hurricane Katrina. Tell that to the 4,225+ U.S. soldiers killed in Iraq, or the estimated 1000,000 wounded.

So from now until inauguration day, I’m going to offer my own little trip down memory lane, to ensure time won’t rewrite every line. Yes, it’s the laughter we will remember.

And if we had the chance to do it all again tell me, would we? Dear Lord, I hope not.

August 31, 2003: Bush drops Barney on a broiling-hot Texas runway: (check out the look of horror on the children's faces)