Wednesday, November 12, 2008

Palin Fixation

OMG. Someone stop me. I’m still blogging about Sarah Palin.

It’s just that she won’t stop saying stupid things. How can I ignore the rambling, run-on sentences and word mash-up that have been the hallmark of her post-election interviews? It's like passing a car wreck on the interstate. Sue me for rubbernecking, I can't help myself.

Take this nonsense from her interview with Wolf Blitzer today:
BLITZER: You're not ruling out a run in 2012 for president of the United States, are you?



PALIN: I'm not ruling that out. But there again, that is based on my philosophy of it's crazy to close a door before you even know what's open in front of you. You travel in this road in life. And as you turn a corner and there may be something there that -- circumstances change. You've got to call an audible (ph) and you decide to shift gears and take another direction. I'm always open for that. But you've just got to be prepared. And when you see opportunity and preparation meet, that's how you know that a door is open and you're ready to go through it.

Hey, I think I read that in Chicken Soup for the Governor’s Soul.

And then there’s the lies. Here’s one from her interview with Matt Lauer:

LAUER: What was the biggest misconception that you would have loved to have corrected at the time?

Gov. PALIN: It started off with the rumors, the speculation, even in mainstream media, that Trig wasn't actually my child, that Trig was somebody else's child and I faked a pregnancy. That was absolutely ridiculous and it took days for that false allegation to ever be corrected.

And then rumors right off the bat, too, that, you know, I was some wacko, that as a city manager I tried to ban the books in our local library. And they listed the books that supposedly I tried to ban, books like "Harry Potter" that hadn't even been written when I was the mayor and the manager. And things like that...

First of all, Sarah Palin was not city manager of Wasilla. That was a man named John Cramer.

But then there’s the bigger lie. Palin was mayor of Wasilla from 1996 to 2002. In that period of time not one but four Harry Potter books had been released in the U.S.

Matt Lauer, of course, didn’t ask her to clarify what she meant. Neither did Greta Van Susteren, Sean Hannity, Alan Colmes, or any of the other so-called “journalists” who were on the receiving end of that lie.

In addition to outright lies, there was this general dishonesty:

"Some of the goofy things like who was Trig's mom. Well, I'm Trig's mom and do you want to see my medical records to prove that?" Palin told the Anchorage Daily News and KTUU Channel 2.
Yes, actually, quite a few folks did ask to see your medical records, and you refused to release any.

By the same token, Palin’s complaints that the media never gave her a fair shake or asked her to respond to these rumors is pretty ludicrous; Palin refused (or the McCain campaign wouldn’t allow) any interviews.

The more she talks the stupider she gets. Someone, make it stop. Please.