Thursday, March 6, 2008

It’s Wine Time!

Come on, Tennessee. Get out of the dark ages. Crawl out from under the tyranny of the liquor lobby. Tell Tom Hensley to take a hike -- who elected him, anyway? Nobody. It’s time to upend the power structure and tell the good ol’ boys to get on the bus because the people have spoken!

Yes, I’m talking about selling wine at grocery stores. It’s way past time for this. And now, the push to bring wine sales to Tennessee groceries has officially begun. If you haven’t done so already, check out Red, White & Food, the Tennessee Grocers & Convenience Store Assn.’s wine campaign website.

Maybe retail wine sales would even lure a Trader Joe’s here. Maybe?

This week at Whole Foods I saw, for the first time in my life, emu eggs. For sale. (I was too stunned to notice how much they cost but it was Whole Foods so assume arm + leg.) They are bright green and huge. I had to check to see if they were fake.

Now, what does one do with an emu egg besides make a big-assed omelette? I have no clue. But I can’t believe I live in a city where I can buy a freaking emu egg in the grocery store, but I can’t get a bottle of chardonnay.

That’s just so wrong, on so many levels.