Monday, July 26, 2010

Silly Campaign Promises

Dear Mike McWherter:

Please don’t send me an e-mail with the subject line “Focusing on Issues that Matter” and then as your first order of business declare you will
“...veto any attempts to impose a state income tax...”

I do not give a rat’s ass about a state income tax. I think we all know that attempts to pass a state income tax in Tennessee are dead -- indeed, it’s been a dead issue ever since a Republican governor tried to pass one over 10 years ago. Anyone with a brain knows that supporting a state income tax is political suicide, especially in this political climate.

Let me be clear: saying you are against a state income tax in Tennessee is tantamount to saying puppies are cute and you won’t ban kittens. For crying out loud, it’s bad enough that you feel you need to pander to conservative voters, but you’re not even very good at it.

I think we all can agree that the number one issue that matters to Tennesseeans is jobs. I’d like to know what you plan to do about that. Frankly I don’t see how a tax cut for small businesses will be sufficient to bring our 10% state unemployment down. On top of which, our state budget is cut to the bone as it is.

So, is that all you’ve got?