Monday, June 21, 2010

Plagiarism Is Not Flattering

Thanks to some strange links I’ve followed from Sitemeter, I've come to learn that I’ve been plagiarized. And no, it's not flattering.

In fact, it appears that this is directly taken from this. I might not mind so much except what was plagiarized was my post about my mother’s death, which is just about as low as a human being can go.

So here’s a little tip for you kiddies, you new to the world of the blogging thing, new even to the world of the journalism thing. When you take someone else’s words and pass them off as if they are your own, you are stealing. That’s what plagiarism is: stealing.

In the world of the internet, there are a couple ways to give proper attribution. There’s the old-school quotation marks and “said Southern Beale” way. There’s the hyperlink and blockquote way. The best way is the hyperlink, blockquote and “Southern Beale” attribution way.

But taking my words and pasting them into your own blog post as if they are your own? That’s simply not done. Ever.

Skylerwolf, whoever you are, you should either delete your post or give me proper attribution. There are rules of conduct on the internet and you’ve broken a big one.

That is all.