Thursday, October 16, 2008

Joe The Plumber?

I wonder if Joe the plumber knows Joe Six-Pack?

I wonder if Americans ever get tired of being stereotyped by political campaigns?

I've had to call a lot of plumbers in my day and I have to say I am not in the least bit surprised to learn that this guy's business earns more than $250,000 a year. Maybe the plumber is supposed to be shorthand for "average working guy" but I've never had a plumber leave my house for less than $200 bucks. And if the Joe the Plumbers of the country have a problem paying 3% more just on the earnings that exceed $250,000, then I think that's being petty, compared to the hysteria McCain is trying to drum up. I mean think about it. If a business earns $300,000, then you pay the current 36% rate on $250,000 of that, and 39% on the remaining $50,000.

Sure no one likes paying taxes but someone has to, it's how we pay for stuff that we need. Like, all of those defense contracts that John McCain wants to award to European companies.

Or how about lower healthcare costs for Joe's employees? I think if you look at more than the soundbite, paying that extra 3% on just a portion of his earnings will actually pay off better for Joe the Plumber.

Joe has pretty much said he's voting for McCain, though. So fine, pay 36% on all of your earnings, but now you're also going to have to pay taxes on the healthcare you provide your employees. Or maybe you'll be like so many other employers and just decide you don't want to offer healthcare at all.