Monday, October 5, 2009

I’ve Done My Job

This throw-away comment from John Aravosis pretty much sums up how I feel about Senate Democrats these days:
Just a quick reminder to Democrats in the Senate: You have a filibuster-proof majority. You asked us all help you get there last fall during the elections -- and we helped. Now, do something with that filibuster-proof majority.

You know, I wonder if the Democrats in D.C. really get it? Because my e-mail in-box is still overflowing with fundraising pleas from the DSCC, DCCC, DNC, you name it. I’m still getting phone calls from these folks. And I sorta feel like I’ve done my job. I donated and held house parties and made phone calls and went door-to-door and registered voters and fundraised and wrote letters to the editor and did all of that crap that was asked of me. I’ve been doing it for the past six or seven years. And I’m done.

Time for you to do YOUR job and deliver some results. I expect a good, strong healthcare bill, and a strong national energy policy that solves our carbon problems.

The right are basically non-existent as an opposition. All they can do is stamp their feet and whine and basically act like spoiled adolescents. As Krugman noted, the Republicans’ ends-justify-the-means tactics are no different from when Clinton was president except in one fundamental way:

The only difference now is that the G.O.P. is in a weaker position, having lost control not just of Congress but, to a large extent, of the terms of debate. The public no longer buys conservative ideology the way it used to; the old attacks on Big Government and paeans to the magic of the marketplace have lost their resonance.

So, Democrats in Washington, if you can’t deliver the healthcare reform we need and expect under a perfect storm of conditions then you don’t deserve power.

And if you fail us now, you aren’t getting another penny from me, or one more minute of my time. And I’m not the only one.