Saturday, August 23, 2008

So It's Biden

And CNN is repeating that "articulate and bright" statement. It's 7 am.

Geeez.

Now CNN is running the McCain campaign's "response" ad to the Biden announcement. It's nice that the McCain campaign doesn't actually have to pay for any advertising, since it will run as a news story. At some point management at these news channels will realize they're cannibalizing themselves by running campaign ads as news stories. Something about why buy the cow when the milk is free?

But I digress.

I'm still mulling this decision. I know Biden will not please the netroots crowd, with his support for the war and also the bankruptcy bill. Those Hillary holdouts will no doubt stamp their feet and shout that they're voting for McCain now. This argument still makes no sense to me--you think that will teach the Democratic Party a lesson or something? What are you, five years old? Grow up.

Biden is a Roman Catholic and while I don't have a problem with that, we should be prepared for another round of Catholic League types denying him communion. That's a given. Biden is a tough talker, so I would hope that those smears from the right will get some kind of immediate response. I don't mind that he's considered something of a loose cannon--that stuff's all just partisan spinning, and you can't beat the gaffes that McCain has given us so far.

No one on the left seriously thought Obama would pick Dennis Kucinich to be his running mate, so I think we were all prepared for a choice not geared for our needs.