Thursday, November 1, 2007

Ask Your Doctor If Hiatus Is Right For You

I was sad to read that Sean Braisted is taking a break, and even more worried when he mentioned the dreaded “personal issues.” I hope the recent discussion over at Music City Bloggers in which he was voted “hottest male blogger” didn’t have something to do with it. Be well, kiddo.

Seriously, blogging is a deceptively easy addiction. It’s incredibly cathartic, but before you know it you’ve got Audrey from “Little Shop of Horrors” screetching “feed me! feed me!” every morning. You have to give yourself ground rules. One of mine is that it’s okay to put aside the politics and just go with pictures of the cats every once in a while. Hey, they’re cute, we’ve got eight of ‘em, and it’s about time they started pulling their weight around here.

I started this blog on May 12, 2007. My hope was to get my political fix for the day so I could devote the rest of my writing energy to my book, which I’ve been working on for two years. It hasn’t worked out that way.

I had no idea anyone would read this blog; that anyone does amazes me. I’m not ready to throw in the towel. The truth is, if I weren’t writing this blog I’d spend my days commenting on someone else’s blog. I do enough of that already.

But I’d be interested in hearing how others manage blogging with “the real world.” Does blogging interfere with your "real life," and have you ever had to pull the plug? Did you miss it?