Friday, August 7, 2009

When “Controversial” Really Means “Gay”

Apparently a strip club with a "controversial new twist” has one Metro Nashville councilman just "sick":
Metro Councilman Michael Craddock does not want Nashville to become known as host to one of the south's only male strip clubs.

"I'm sick to my stomach - I'm just absolutely sick," said Craddock.

"It's different for a man to show himself than a woman. It's another step in the wrong direction."

It’s different? Really? How, exactly?

Care to elaborate, Councilman?

And what’s this “another step” stuff? What other steps in the “wrong direction” have we taken here in Nashville lately that make you just “sick”?

I have some ideas: I’m thinking Craddock is worried about the whole “gay” thing. I think what’s different about when a man “shows himself” is that there might be other men watching and that just freaks Councilman Braddock out to no end. Feel free to correct me, Councilman Braddock, but I think it's the "gay" thing that has you "sick." Am I right?

Owners of the new club, to be called “Arrow Nashville,” say they are not a “gay” strip club, however; patrons of both sexes will be welcome.

I dunno, I’ve been to one strip club in my life, in New Orleans (of course). I was with a mixed group of people, and the women said if we were going to do this wacky thing we by God were going to make sure we went to one of the “unisex” strip joints so that we could enjoy the show, too. The male dancer was obviously gay but he had far more talent than the female dancer, who seemed strung out on something and not very aware of her surroundings. The whole thing was rather seedy, the drinks were watered down, and when we left about 30 minutes later I felt like I never needed to see another strip show again.

But to each his or her own. Councilman Braddock is looking pretty ridiculous here. He needs to explain his idea that it’s somehow one thing when a woman takes her clothes off for money and something else entirely when a man does it. What exactly is the difference, if it's not fear of the gay?

And I’m going to scold NewsChannel5 here too, which seems to precede every story involving anything that might be vaguely gay with the word “controversial.”

I’m not seeing anything controversial in this story. A councilman is behaving like an ass. So what else is new?