Saturday, September 8, 2007

Your Tax Dollars At Work

I just saw this “PSA” on TV. In this case, I think the “p” stands for Propaganda:
Dad. Mom. It's me. We gotta talk.
We have to talk about sex. It's okay. I can handle it. Can you?
Talk to me about sex. Tell me how you feel.
Tell me you want me to wait.
I may roll my eyes. Act all bored. But I'm listening. I'll hear you.
So talk to me about sex. 'Cause my friends do. It's all over the Internet.
Now it's your turn.
Tell me, "Son, you have the world at your feet." Or, "Honey, the sky's the limit."
Tell me what you want for me. An education. A family. A career. Happiness.
Tell me to wait to have sex. I know you're nervous. Weirded out.
Me too. Me too. Me too. But we gotta do this.
Announcer: Tell your kids you want them to wait 'til they're married to have sex. And talk with them early and often so they'll have a better chance at success.

For the full, horrid, video effect, go see it for yourself. Then remind yourself, that this ad campaign -- dubbed “4parents”-- is really our government telling us what to say to our kids about sex. Know that this is how the Dept. of Health & Human Services is spending its taxpayer money.

This just screams of Fundie Bible thumper anti-sex, pro-marriage (but not for gays!) crusading and it’s pissed me off. Do we really need the government snooping in our family life like this?

It’s also extremely reminiscent of the “One Less” advertisements for Gardasil, the anti-genital herpes HPV-virus vaccine that has the conservative Christians up in arms because they think it will encourage underage sex. I wonder if some highly-placed Focus On The Family-type encouraged someone at the DHHS to invest money in an anti-teen sex campaign?

I suspect they knew this ad would be controversial because their "contact us" page contains a phone number and mailing address ... no e-mail. But it's a campaing of the Dept. of Health & Human Services, so I'm sure we can all contact our Congress Critters and find out why the government is wasting our money on this kind of indoctrination. I know I plan to.